[PCA] SAVE THE DATE & RSVP // Plant Conservation Alliance e-Meeting (September 13; 2-4pm ET), with invited speaker Dr. Julie Larson, USDA Agricultural Research

Krone, Elizabeth C elizabeth_krone at fws.gov
Tue Sep 5 11:19:57 CDT 2023

Please save the date for our next Plant Conservation Alliance general meeting! Held remotely and open to all -- on Wednesday, September 13, 2023, from 2:00 - 4:00 pm ET. Join us in welcoming Dr. Julie Larson, Postdoctoral Research Ecologist, USDA Agricultural Research Service

***PLEASE RSVP TO ATTEND THIS MEETING – SEE BELOW***

Presentation Topic: The relevance of seed and seedling traits in applied restoration, and what restoration can teach us about Diversity & Inclusion efforts

About the Presentation:
In the past decade, organizations have made major strides in the effort to increase the collection and production of more diverse native plant materials for restoration. However, establishment from seed still poses a major challenge in many regions, and species can vary widely in their recruitment windows. Can we leverage the seed and seedling traits of species to understand more about their different recruitment strategies, and ultimately, match seeds to right place and time in restoration? We will explore this question using recently collected data from 50 restoration species in the Great Basin and Colorado Plateau, using species’ traits to inform potential strategies for short- and long-term seeding success. In a rapidly changing world, restoration and conservation efforts depend upon a growing, engaged, and creative workforce. For the last portion of the talk, we’ll discuss how we can apply lessons learned in restoration ecology to also support a more diverse and inclusive natural resources community.

About the Presenter:
Julie is a postdoctoral research ecologist with the USDA-Agricultural Research Service. At the Eastern Oregon Agricultural Research Center (Burns, OR), she addresses challenges related to the restoration and management of semi-arid rangelands. Her research has focused primarily on plant functioning, and how species display different ecological strategies to succeed in different environments. She is also Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee for the Society for Range Management and coauthoring several publications on engagement and inclusion in restoration and range professions.

***TO ATTEND THIS MEETING, PLEASE***

RSVP by COB Tuesday, September 12 to elizabeth_krone at fws.gov

The meeting login details will be shared with all respondents via email by Tuesday, September 12.

This meeting will be hosted using Microsoft Teams. You will be able to join the meeting from the web or via the Microsoft Teams app