[PCA] Case Study Butte Fire: Treatment Effects Post Fire Seeding & Mulching

Moira McGinty Klos mmcgintyklos at naturalareas.org
Wed Feb 1 09:48:22 CST 2023

Join Julia Michaels, Ph.D., Restoration Ecologist, Hedgerow Farms/Pacific
Coast Seed, for a webinar as she outlines the results of a five year
interdisciplinary effort to reseed and mulch 46 acres of the 2015 Butte
Fire.

*DATE: **Tuesday, February 21 at 12:00 pm EST. **REGISTER HERE
<https://members.naturalareas.org/members/evr/reg_event.php?orgcode=AREA&evid=33845413>
or
visit www.naturalareas.org <http://www.naturalareas.org>.*

*NAA WEBINAR:* C
<https://www.naturalareas.org/docs/022023MichaelsAbstract.pdf>ase Study
Butte Fire: Post Fire Seeding and mulching treatment effects on native
plant cover, RDM, erosion control and invasive species reduction
<https://www.naturalareas.org/docs/022023MichaelsAbstract.pdf>

*ABSTRACT:*
Since 2002, the use of seed in post-fire mitigation projects in California
has been confined almost exclusively to state highway and county roads,
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other private reseeding
efforts. These agencies have found specific situations where seeding and
mulching offers appreciable value for the protection of property and
reduction of on-site erosion. In this presentation we outline the results
of an interdisciplinary effort to reseed and mulch 46 acres of the 2015
Butte Fire. These efforts included native seed and straw mulching, aerial
mulching, and manual application coordinated by BLM and EBMUD. During the
spring of 2015 we collected data and analyzed the effects of the seeding
treatments. A control site was identified, and the team collected field
data for total cover, including native and other plant cover and RDM.
Treated slopes were also measured for soil loss to estimate first year
potential soil loss and the potential loss over 5 years. We found that
prompt reseeding with natives and mulching reduces bare ground and thus
lowers potential invasive weed establishment in the first and second year
after treatment. We encourage prompt native seed applications on other fire
rehabilitation projects.

[image: Natural Areas] <http://naturalareas.org/>

Moira McGinty Klos (She/Her)

*Director of Programs & Communications *

mmcgintyklos at naturalareas.org
703.328.7481 | P.O. Box 594, Ligonier, PA 15658

[image: facebook icon] <https://www.facebook.com/NaturalAreasAssc/>    [image:
twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/naturalareas>    [image: youtube icon]
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTvCKnkaHOo2n-6u8yqM6XA>    [image:
linkedin icon] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/natural-areas-association/>