[PCA] WEBINAR: Harnessing Genomics to Examine Local Adaptation in Sage-Grouse; May 5, 2 PM ET

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Thu Apr 27 17:17:21 CDT 2023

Harnessing Genomics to Examine Local Adaptation in Sage-Grouse

Date/Time: May 5th, 2023 at 2:00 pm ET
Presenters: Sara Oyler-McCance, Research Geneticist, USGS Fort Collins Science Center
Details: Identifying and protecting unique genetic adaptations is a vital component of conservation and management, especially for species whose distribution spans diverse ecological conditions. Novel genomic methods have now made it possible to explore the genome for potential genetic adaptations in most species. Our research is exploring dietary adaptation in both Gunnison Sage-grouse (Centrocercus minimus) and Greater Sage-grouse (C. urophasianus), two herbivores that have successfully evolved mechanisms to cope with toxic compounds present in sagebrush to defend against herbivory. Substantial geographic variation exists in plant secondary metabolites in sagebrush, indicating that sage-grouse populations may be exposed to distinct natural selection imposed by the chemistry of local sagebrush varieties. We identified a family of genes linked to local dietary adaptation suggesting that both species of sage-grouse may possess digestive and metabolic adaptations that mitigate the effects of consuming plant secondary metabolites like those found in sagebrush. These potential links between sage-grouse and the chemistry of the local sagebrush plants within which they reside are highly relevant to consider for conservation and management strategies. For instance, sagebrush restoration efforts could consider using local sagebrush material to avoid mismatches in plant secondary metabolites with the local sage-grouse population. Additionally, it may be prudent for translocation efforts to carefully consider the sagebrush communities associated with source and recipient sage-grouse populations.
Webinar presented by: USGS

Anna Lindquist

she/her/hers

Botanical Communications Manager

Bureau of Land Management - contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #

I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional homeland of the Shoshone, Paiute, Goshute, and Ute Tribes, who have stewarded this land throughout the generations.

National Seed Strategy<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>

Plant Conservation Alliance<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>