[PCA] Hiring Conservation Scientist at Chicago Botanic Garden

Andrea Kramer akramer at chicagobotanic.org
Wed Sep 7 14:49:53 CDT 2022

Title: Conservation Scientist

About us: The Chicago Botanic Garden's Negaunee Institute for Plant Conservation Science and Action<https://www.chicagobotanic.org/research> is a global leader in plant-based research, education, and engagement to sustain and enrich life. The Institute is housed within the 38,000 square foot Plant Conservation Science Center<https://www.chicagobotanic.org/research/building> on our Glencoe, Illinois campus. Our building has eight shared, function-based labs and currently hosts 27 science staff<https://www.chicagobotanic.org/research/staff> and more than 40 graduate students<https://plantbiology.northwestern.edu/people/graduate-students/index.html> through a graduate program in Plant Biology and Conservation<https://plantbiology.northwestern.edu/index.html> (offered jointly with Northwestern University). The Garden's natural areas<https://www.chicagobotanic.org/research/natural_areas> serve as a living laboratory for our work, and scientists have access to 75,000 sq. ft. of production greenhouse space and technical assistance from CBG's experienced horticultural staff to assist with propagation and production of plants for research. The Garden also supports several unique programs including two community science initiatives - Budburst<https://budburst.org/> and Plants of Concern<https://plantsofconcern.org/>, a synthesis Center for Conservation and Restoration (sCORE<https://score.nipcsa.com/>), a Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) site program<https://pbcinternships.org/summer-reu-genes-ecosystems>, as well as a Conservation and Land Management Internship Program<https://www.clminternship.org/>. Our research, conservation, and training activities meet the needs of local, regional, and national conservation institutions, governmental agencies, and schools of higher education.

Based in the Chicago metropolitan area, one of the largest and most racially diverse cities in North America, the Garden opened 50 years ago as a beautiful place to visit, and it has matured into one of the world's great living museums and conservation science centers. The Garden's mission is grounded in the belief that caring for gardens and natural areas is fundamentally important to the well-being of everyone. The Garden strives to make its campuses and all its programs available and accessible to people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. We value diversity in all its forms and at every level of our organization - board, staff, volunteers, and vendors. Through the diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences, the Garden is more effectively able to create extraordinary and welcoming experiences for our increasingly diverse audiences. We are committed to ensuring a sense of belonging to every individual we encounter, regardless of age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, intellectual ability, or economic status. The Garden is currently developing several initiatives to promote equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in science and conservation. You can read more on these initiatives and the Garden's commitment to EDIA at<https://www.chicagobotanic.org/info/equity_diversity_inclusion_and_accessibility> https://www.chicagobotanic.org/info/equity_diversity_inclusion_and_accessibility.

Position Overview: We seek to hire a conservation scientist at the assistant scientist rank to join the Garden's Negaunee Institute for Plant Conservation Science and Action. This is a full-time, career-track position. We seek applicants who address questions that support conservation and/or restoration actions in areas including, but not limited to, urban ecology, invasive species ecology, ecophysiology, quantitative ecology, restoration ecology, soil/fungal/microbial ecology, or human dimensions of the environment. The successful candidate will join a highly collaborative group of scientists focused on addressing key conservation and restoration challenges. In addition to conducting research, the successful candidate will serve as faculty in our joint Plant Biology and Conservation graduate program with Northwestern University. All scientists participate in education programs as well as community and Garden-wide engagement activities. Start date is flexible with a preference for early 2023.

Responsibilities:

1. RESEARCH: (Estimated time commitment: ~40%)

  *   Conduct research that clearly supports conservation or restoration.
  *   Obtain external funding to support a research program.
  *   Share results through scientific publications and presentations as well as broader communication venues that engage groups such as policy makers, land managers, and the public.

2.  EDUCATION:  (Estimated time commitment: ~30%)

  *   Mentor students from diverse backgrounds at a variety of academic levels. This will include serving as an advisor or committee member for:
     *   Graduate students in the Garden's Plant Biology and Conservation program with Northwestern University (https://www.plantbiology.northwestern.edu/),
     *   Undergraduate students from Northwestern University and our NSF-REU Site program (https://pbcinternships.org/) over the summer.
     *   High School students in the College First program (https://www.chicagobotanic.org/collegefirst )
  *   Participation in team-teaching a Northwestern University introductory graduate course in field and lab methods (2-3 class sessions in fall) or teaching an upper-level undergraduate or graduate level course in the candidate's area of expertise is encouraged but not required (quarter system; each class is 9 weeks).

3. INSTITUTIONAL ENGAGEMENT: (Estimated time commitment: ~20%)

  *   Actively participate in  Garden and departmental initiatives.
     *   Work on synthesis projects within our synthesis Center in Conservation and Restoration<https://score.nipcsa.com/>.
     *   Work collaboratively with natural areas ecologists and interns at the Garden and regionally to inform stewardship, conservation, and restoration.
     *   Work collaboratively with other Garden departments (Learning and Engagement, Horticulture, Collections, Communications, and Visitor Services) on projects that support the Garden's mission and strategic plan<https://www.chicagobotanic.org/strategic_plan>.
     *   Participate in science interpretation efforts, including assistance with displays, science festivals, and/or interpretive program development.
     *   Contribute to departmental and Garden-wide strategic planning, project development, and related tasks.

4. COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: (Estimated time commitment: ~10%)

  *   Contribute the Garden's education, engagement, and/or community science activities.
  *   Help synthesize research, communicate science, and/or develop policy to support conservation or restoration practice.
  *   Participate in the Garden's advocacy work.
  *   Develop and/or help grow and maintain collaborations with partner organizations, including conservation organizations, agencies, and/or community groups.

Qualifications and desirable traits: Ph.D. in biology, ecology, botany, environmental studies, social science, or related area. A key strength of the Garden is a collaborative environment which allows us to take an interdisciplinary approach to applied conservation/restoration issues, so we seek a candidate who will use a collaborative approach to building a research program that actively engages with internal and external partners to support conservation/restoration. We seek a candidate with strong quantitative skills and experience utilizing and mentoring others in relevant statistical approaches. Candidate's research program should allow them to be in Chicago for most of the summer to mentor students.

We value individuals with a desire to build/maintain research with local or regional partners in the Great Lakes regions as part of their research portfolio. As scientists based at a public-facing institution, in addition to competency in publishing research in scientific journals, we value experience in and support the maintenance of meaningful partnerships with diverse groups as well as scientific discourse that is accessible to the general public. We highly value people who are enthusiastic about science communication and dedicated to increasing equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in the environmental field.

To Apply: Please go to https://tinyurl.com/AssistConservationSciRS to apply. In addition to the Garden application materials, in lieu of a cover letter, please submit: (1) curriculum vitae; (2) statement on current and proposed future research interests that complements our current expertise and programs (e.g., Plants of Concern<https://plantsofconcern.org/>, Budburst<https://budburst.org/>, sCORE<https://score.nipcsa.com/>) (1-2pgs); (3) statement on how your current and proposed research will support conservation or restoration, including examples of how you have or will work with internal or external partners to design, implement, and apply results (max 1 page); (4) mentoring and teaching experience and philosophy (max 1 page); (5) statement on how you can contribute to the Garden's diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility goals (max 1 pg); and (6) contact information for three references. Review of applications begins October 7, 2022 and will continue until a suitable candidate is hired. Contact Andrea Kramer at akramer at chicagobotanic.org<mailto:akramer at chicagobotanic.org> with any questions.

Andrea T. Kramer, Ph.D.
Director of Restoration Ecology
David Byron Smith Family Curator of Natural Areas
Associate Conservation Scientist

Negaunee Institute for Plant Conservation Science and Action
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road | Glencoe, IL 60022
Tel (847) 835-6971
Pronouns: she/ her/ hers

We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life

***My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated to respond out of your normal working hours.***