[PCA] SAVE THE DATE & RSVP: Plant Conservation Alliance e-Meeting, September 14, 2022, 2-4pm ET, with speaker Dr. Wesley Knapp

Krone, Elizabeth C elizabeth_krone at fws.gov
Thu Aug 25 14:49:57 CDT 2022

Please RSVP to attend our next PCA meeting when we welcome Dr. Wesley Knapp, Chief Botanist, NatureServe, who will discuss “Preventing Plant Extinction Events in the U.S.A. and Canada.”

ABOUT OUR PRESENTER: Wesley Knapp is the Chief Botanist at NatureServe, a leading biodiversity conservation non-profit in the United States. NatureServe leverages the power of science, data, and technology to guide biodiversity conservation and stewardship. Wes has over 20 years of experience working in the NatureServe Network as a Botanist and Ecologist with both the Maryland and North Carolina Natural Heritage Programs. He has extensive field experience across much of the United States with additional fieldwork experience in Australia, Canada, and Central America. His research includes the first examination of the extinct plants of the United States and Canada, new plant species discoveries, and treatments of plant groups in various Floras and Manuals. He has also published two books including, Vascular Plants of Maryland, USA: A Comprehensive Account of the State’s Botanical Diversity which is freely available through the Smithsonian Scholarly Press. His research interests include identifying and preventing plant extinction events, describing undescribed plant species, systematics, ecology, and taxonomy. He has a B.S. from Catawba College, a M.S. from Delaware State University, and is currently a Ph.D. student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Alan Weakley’s lab.
ABOUT THE PRESENTATION: Preventing extinctions is the lowest bar for conservation success we can set, yet we are not always succeeding. An extinction event is a conservation failure from which we must learn. Money for plant conservation is extremely limited and given the seemingly overwhelming number of At Risk (G1-G3) plant species in the United States our conservation actions need to be highly prioritized to prevent extinction events. During this talk I’ll give an overview of known plant extinction events in the USA and Canada and discuss some of the common causes of these extinctions. We will discuss new information and current efforts to detect or rebut an extinction hypothesis and discuss an effort to identify plants of One Know Occurrence (OKOs) in the USA for priority ex situ and in situ conservation action. Sixty-four percent of all known plant extinctions were from species known from just one known occurrence. Despite this fact, no method exists to identify OKO plants, nor have they been prioritized at the National level for extinction prevention.

The meeting is held remotely and open to all. More information about the presentation will be available soon on our PCA Meetings page<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plantconservationalliance.org%2Fmeetings&data=05%7C01%7Celizabeth_krone%40fws.gov%7C37d48d8b9ea34e349cca08da86bb8fa7%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637970437365625992%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=w6HiU4UJBX8kmgkWMmZfbvCBbok0PMrvPlKXiUVOXLo%3D&reserved=0>.

***PLEASE RSVP TO ATTEND THIS MEETING***

RSVP by by Monday, September 12, to  elizabeth_krone at fws.gov<mailto:elizabeth_krone at fws.gov>

This meeting will be hosted using Microsoft Teams. You will be able to join the meeting from the web or via the Microsoft Teams app<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fteams.microsoft.com%2Fdownloads&data=05%7C01%7Celizabeth_krone%40fws.gov%7C37d48d8b9ea34e349cca08da86bb8fa7%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637970437365625992%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=e%2BdiuJj9w8l6VvX2Xz%2BEoBxHn6LrpFi2m9kYVct6pCY%3D&reserved=0>.  The meeting login details will be shared with all respondents via calendar invite and email by Tuesday, September 13.

The PCA general meetings are open to everyone and follow this format:

>Updates on PCA Activities - learn about and get engaged in the Plant Conservation Alliance

>Invited Speaker – a topical presentation to explore any of the six focal areas identified in the PCA National Framework for Progress<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blm.gov%2Fsites%2Fblm.gov%2Ffiles%2Fprograms_natural-resources_native-plant-communities_national-seed-strategy_pca_Framework_6.11.2020.pdf&data=05%7C01%7Celizabeth_krone%40fws.gov%7C37d48d8b9ea34e349cca08da86bb8fa7%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637970437365625992%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=8SPsrCQL3aRz3W2oLay8e4TXbfMjL81p1JDzRSbvnE4%3D&reserved=0>: collaborative conservation; education; restoration; research and development; sustainability; and information sharing

>Native Plants Roundtable - all participants are encouraged to share information on national native plant events and activities

— This meeting is brought to you by the Plant Conservation Alliance Speaker Organizing Team— Gary Krupnick (Smithsonian Institution) / Ray Mims (U.S. Botanic Garden) / Krissa Skogen (Chicago Botanic Garden) / David Lincicome – Tennessee Dept of Environment & Conservation / Andrea Williams – California Native Plant Society