[PCA] Traditional Ecological Knowledge for conservation: Webinars start Oct. 7

Megan Dunning mdunning at mortonarb.org
Wed Sep 29 06:34:12 CDT 2021

The Morton Arboretum is hosting a online series on traditional ecological
knowledge on Thursday evenings in October: Diversifying Conservation with
Indigenous Perspectives

October 7, 14, and 21, 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Central on Zoom

Please join us for these important conversations! Learn more and register:
https://mortonarb.org/explore/activities/adult-programs/traditional-ecological-knowledge-series-diversifying-conservation-with-indigenous-perspectives/

See nature through the lens of traditional ecological knowledge in this
live, online series. Explore how language can shape our understanding of
land and relationship to it. Consider environmental stewardship from
Indigenous perspectives, and learn to apply the principles of Indigenous
science to conservation and land management efforts. Each session will be
moderated by Billie Warren, Pokagon Band of Potawatomi, featuring speakers
from the Great Lakes region:

Session 1: The Basics of Indigenous and Western Science (Kaya DeerInWater,
Citizen Band of Potawatomi)

Session 2: The Language of Science (Frank Barker, Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish
Band of Potawatomi)

Session 3: Rethinking Our Relationship with Land Management (Gabrielle Van
Steenberg, Pokagon Band of Potawatomi)

Discounts are available for students and educators by calling 630-719-2468
to register. A limited number of need-based free passes are available;
contact education at mortonarb.org to request one.

--
Megan Dunning, PhD | Manager of Adult Learning Programs *(she/hers)*
The Morton Arboretum | mortonarb.org | Office: 630-725-2101

*The Morton Arboretum is located on ancestral homelands of the Council of
Three Fires— the Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi—and many other tribes that
resided on or migrated through this land for generations. We recognize
these enduring communities and the many Indigenous peoples residing
throughout the Chicago region today. Learn more
<https://mortonarb.org/about-arboretum/inclusion/land-acknowledgment/>.*