[PCA] Reminder: National Art Competition on Iconic Native Plants (Deadline: December 15)

Park, Margaret E margaret_park at fws.gov
Fri Nov 5 12:13:53 CDT 2021

There's still time before the December 15 deadline to enter the American Icons art contest! We're hoping for great turnout from across the country and US territories, to help the Plant Conservation Alliance celebrate 25 years of collaboration for our native plants! See the flyer for details.

Please share with your student networks!

Additional Info about the art contest:

Do you have children or work with children interested in plants, art, and creative writing? We need your help to design a commemorative coin that honors iconic plants native to the United States!

Plants play an important role in our nation’s ecosystems while also being symbols of local cultural heritage, defining the character of places, and influencing our experiences with the natural world where we live, work, and play.

To celebrate 25 years of advancing plant conservation and promoting native plant community restoration, the Plant Conservation Alliance has teamed up with the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden on a national artwork competition as part of this year’s 2021-2022 Fairchild Challenge!

The National Challenge American Icons Commemorative Coin Competition:

School-age children will nominate a plant that symbolizes the uniqueness of America’s landscapes by creating an illustration that showcases your plant. The selection should not be limited to the region in which the entrant lives but must be native to anywhere in the United States or its Territories. Drawings must include a written description explaining why you selected this plant and how it is representative of the region’s cultural and natural heritage. Regional champions will undergo a national runoff to select the plant image we will use on a 2-inch commemorative coin!

Who can participate?

Any child in a private, public or homeschool may participate. The challenge is aimed at school-age learners (preK-12th grade) and can be completed as an individual or as a group (up to 5 people). Teachers or the supervising adult must submit the entry and are encouraged to review the complete entry requirements as well as the evaluation sheet to assist in guiding the development of the submission.

SEE COMPLETE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS on our National Challenge Portal<https://fairchildgarden.org/science-and-education/learn/the-fairchild-challenge/national-challenge/>

Deadline:

The entry for this challenge must be submitted by a supervising adult to through our National Challenge Portal<https://fairchildgarden.org/science-and-education/learn/the-fairchild-challenge/national-challenge/> by Wednesday, December 15, 2021 by 5:00 pm.

  *   About the PCA: A collaboration among U.S. federal agencies and nonfederal partners who share the common goal to protect, conserve, and restore our national plant heritage for generations to come. Learn more<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>
  *   About the Fairchild Challenge: The Fairchild Challenge is an award-winning environmental science competition designed to engage PreK – 12th grade students with the natural world. Learn more<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffairchildgarden.org%2Fscience-and-education%2Flearn%2Fthe-fairchild-challenge%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cmargaret_park%40fws.gov%7C23b7baa657ed4da758f308d97e8f8558%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637679977155520193%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=IuJgFePZaiDgso5bBqeAm3XrnSi0u4EiYIjMevTjxnc%3D&reserved=0>