[PCA] Ode to Spring Political Correctness

Peter Bernhardt peter.bernhardt at slu.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:02:01 CDT 2021

As usual, the sentiment is much better than the science. Nice to know my garden is a death trap. As Phlox is a genus endemic to North America what happens if I grow a species that is not native to my state or county? Am I befouling the ecosystem or just a patriot? Wonder if Ms. Renki has a Franklinia in her garden? Better make sure someone yanks all those Narcissus cultigens out of the Shaw Arboretum.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/28/opinion/immigrant-plants-ecosystem.html
[https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/03/30/opinion/29renkl-lead/29renkl-lead-facebookJumbo.jpg]<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/28/opinion/immigrant-plants-ecosystem.html>
Opinion | What You May Not Know About Those April Flowers - The New York Times<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/28/opinion/immigrant-plants-ecosystem.html>
Americans have cultivated nonnative plants and flowers for so long, it has skewed our experience of spring. Credit...BJARNE x TAKATA/Trunk Archive Supported by By Margaret Renkl A contributing ...
www.nytimes.com