[PCA] Botany Biotech Position (paid) & Internship at Santa Monica Mountains NRA Jan/Feb-May(Jul) 2022

Mendelsohn, Mark mark_mendelsohn at nps.gov
Wed Dec 15 15:34:22 CST 2021

Hello Colleagues,

We have 2 open positions: a Botany Internship and a paid Botany Biotechnician as well!

Come gain valuable experience with vegetation surveys and identification, field navigation, and become familiar with a gorgeous and diverse National Park System unit: the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area!

Both of these positions can start in late January or early-mid February and end at the conclusion of May, with the possibility (depending on workload) to extend into July, 2022.
The duties, etc. of the Vegetation Inventory and Monitoring Intern<https://www.nps.gov/samo/getinvolved/supportyourpark/vegetation-inventory-and-monitoring-internship.htm> apply not only to the internship but to the biotech position as well; please read the information at that website thoroughly if you are considering applying.
The differences would be that biotech candidates should:
- have a strong foundation with the native and non-native plants of southern California (if not the Santa Monica Mtn's and Simi Hills)
- have strong GPS & map navigational skills
- be comfortable leading a team of themself + an intern to remote vegetation monitoring plots
- have 2-4 days per week available for 10-hour field days, based out of Thousand Oaks, CA

The Biotech will be supervised by me, but hired by our partner the Resources Conservation District of the Santa Monica Mountains, and will be compensated at an hourly rate of $15 - $20, depending on experience.

Selections will only be made of COVID-19 fully vaccinated individuals, according to our federal workplace policies.
Biotech applicants should email me directly their 1) resume, 2) three reference contacts, 3) unofficial transcript, and 4) available dates.
Internship applicants should follow the instructions at the bottom of the Vegetation Inventory and Monitoring Intern<https://www.nps.gov/samo/getinvolved/supportyourpark/vegetation-inventory-and-monitoring-internship.htm> post. We can provide dorm housing for the selected intern, if they are coming from out of the area.

Thank you!
--
Mark Mendelsohn
Biologist

I work a Maxi-flex schedule: in summer & fall 2021, Tue-Thu 7am-4:30pm, occasionally Mon-Wed instead, are my core hours (minimum time required on duty).