[PCA] WEBINAR: Processes determining plant species diversity in restored tall grass prairies; Sep 2; 4pm CT

Park, Margaret E margaret_park at fws.gov
Tue Aug 31 09:13:06 CDT 2021

*Webinar date/time: Thursday. September 2. 2021; 4pm CT

*Duration: 1 hour

*What will you learn?
In practice, sites managed for restoration often have lower diversity than reference communities, highlighting a need to identify theoretical and practical barriers to restoration of target native species diversity. North American tallgrass prairie is an ideal system in which to study the restoration of plant diversity, because remnant prairies are rare, prairie restoration projects are now very common, and because the size and longevity of grassland plants makes them easy to measure and manipulate. I will present a synthetic study testing the relative importance of soil characteristics, management actions, seed mix design, and site characteristics for predicting several prairie restoration success measures, and I will introduce new projects examining how functional traits influence prairie community assembly and how novel management techniques can increase plant diversity in “failed” restorations.

*Presenter:
Andrew Kaul, Missouri Botanical Garden

*Details:
Registration not required