[PCA] Priority areas for plant conservation in the conterminous US?

afrates at addsuminc.com afrates at addsuminc.com
Wed Jan 8 13:28:33 CST 2020

I was going to make a similar comment as Bob already has.  A number of states have important plant area designations.  New Mexico has done an excellent job in that regard.  See also states like Colorado (they have something like 200 IPA's), Montana, California and no doubt others.

I would think that some IPA's could have portions that are "protected" (they could be part of a national park or have a special agency designation) but probably many do not.

In Utah, we've talked about IPA's a fair amount but have only designated a few areas and our program is nowhere as evolved as in some other states.

Tony Frates
Utah Native Plant Society