[PCA] Just in time for Veteran's Day: Center for Plant Conservation November newsletter honors U.S. Department of Defense collaborations

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Thu Nov 7 09:08:53 CST 2019

Forwarding this informative newsletter, including a striking photo of
Georgia false indigo in the header!
https://saveplants.org/2019/11/06/november-2019-news/

About this issue:
This November, CPC takes time to honor the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)
collaborations with our Participating Institutions. Across the continental
United States, as well as our island states and territories, the military
conducts mission-critical training and readiness activities on the
approximately 25 million acres that it manages. Many of the activities are
compatible with endangered species management. In fact, the DoD has the
highest density of species listed as threatened or endangered under
the Endangered Species Act of any federal land management agency. In 2017,
public records indicated 256 plants enjoyed DoD natural resource
management. It perhaps is an unexpected consequence of limited public
access. DoD lands support many rare, intact wildlife habitats.

*Read this month's newsletter*
<https://centerforplantconservation.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5111078c47821caea413b21ca&id=bcbe2ef500&e=aad89059f1>
to learn more about the work of two CPC Participating Institutions, North
Carolina Botanical Garden and Waimea Valley Botanical Garden, preserving
imperiled plants on U.S. Department of Defense lands. We also introduce our
newly appointed President and CEO, Joyce Maschinski, Ph.D., who has been a
true Conservation Champion her whole career.

You can subscribe to receive the monthly CPC newsletter by email at:

   - Go to the homepage: https://saveplants.org/national-collection/
   - Click on green "NEWSLETTER SIGNUP" button in top right corner.