[PCA] State Foresters, USDA-Forest Service Launch Good Neighbor Authority Map

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Fri Mar 29 19:29:24 CDT 2019

>From the National Association of Foresters

To illustrate the tremendous size and scope of forest management work made
possible by Good Neighbor Authority (GNA), the National Association of
State Foresters and the USDA Forest Service have launched an interactive,
web-based map highlighting GNA project successes nationwide.

WASHINGTON—Empowered with Good Neighbor Authority, state forestry agencies
are contributing to the restoration of federal forests on a scale never
before realized. Now, these restoration success stories are being told
through one central interactive, GIS-powered map.

“The Good Neighbor Authority provides us a great tool to be a partner with
states to improve the conditions of our nation’s forests,” said Allen
Rowley, acting associate deputy chief for the USDA Forest Service’s
National Forest System mission area. “We have situations in some states
where through Good Neighbor Authority projects, we’ve been able to increase
our timber output by as much as 20 percent.”

Since GNA was first authorized by Congress with the 2014 Farm Bill, over a
third of states have broken ground on more than 130 GNA projects. Congress
expanded authorities for forest management projects undertaken with GNA to
allow for necessary road reconstruction and repairs with the Fiscal Year
2018 appropriations omnibus; and with the 2018 Farm Bill, allowed counties
and tribes to also participate in GNA projects.

Details:
https://www.stateforesters.org/newsroom/state-foresters-usda-forest-service-launch-good-neighbor-authority-map/