[PCA] ARTICLE: We do not wa nt to “cure plant blindness” we want to grow plant love

Steve Erickson wean at whidbey.net
Tue Aug 13 17:23:39 CDT 2019

I just read the article.

My life-partner has macular degeneration and she most definitely
does see her condition as a deficit and something “to be
cured.” I can’t quote her response due to the included
obscenities, but she certainly doesn’t feel “excluded” by
the use of the term “plant bindness.” She just told me she
thinks its “a very apt term.”

But one anecdotal response does not establish high confidence.
Since the article was published in a scientific journal, perhaps
the authors could actually back up their hypothesis - that the
term is exclusionary - with some data? Have they surveyed people
who are blind or whose sight is impaired? What are their
opinions? Do the opinions differ depending on education and area
of knowledge? Degree of sight impairment? Cultural background?

The author’s concede that this two word label is catchy, has
spread rapidly, and describes the condition. Having been
involved in numerous advocacy campaigns, that is exactly what is
needed. Somehow, I just don’t believe that “failure to fully
understand the importance of plants to human existence and
biospheric function” is going to cut it. Do you think that
“extinction rebellion” would have spread as rapidly as it
has if instead it was phrased as “very very serious
disagreement to diminution of biological diversity brought about
by socio-economic world views strongly associated with modern
industrial civilization?”

~Steve
Frosty Hollow Ecological
Whidbey Environmental Action