[PCA] MARSB begins Viburnum collection effort across New York State

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Mon Aug 12 16:59:28 CDT 2019

See message from Mid-Atlantic Regional Seedbank (MARSB), below. Ian
included pictures and summaries of each species but the info was too large
for this listserve. So please contact Ian for more information.
----------
From: Ian Laih, Seed Collector <ilaih at marsb.org>
Date: Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Greetings from MARSB

We Need Your Help!

My name is Ian Laih and I am working with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Seed
Bank (MARSB) this year. At the request of the U.S. National Arboretum,
MARSB is surveying and collecting seed from 5 target Viburnum species in
New York State: *Viburnum acerifolium, V. dentatum, V. lentago, V. nudum, *and
*V. prunifolium*. These species are extremely susceptible to the invasive
viburnum leaf beetle (*Pyrrhalta viburni*). Banked collections of these
species will ensure their long term conservation and facilitate the
preservation of a diverse gene pool. All collections will be curated by the
US Arboretum and used for conservation and research purposes. Ideal
populations for collecting will fall under the following parameters:

   - The population is wild and not cultivated
   - Populations with greater than 30 individuals, but preferably 50+
   - 200-3000 viable seeds collected across the ripening period per
   collection

If you are interested in helping with this important conservation project,
have any questions, or have information that may assist our project please
contact me at ilaih at marsb.org. There are many ways to get involved from
scouting for populations and seed set to being trained in the proper seed
collection protocol! Please see below for description and images of our
five target species. Thank you for your time and stay tuned for further
updates!

Mid-Atlantic Regional Seed Bank · 3808 Victory Boulevard · Staten Island,
NY 10314 · USA