[PCA] Job Announcement: Senior Plant Ecologist / Permitting Expert

Amy Quach aquach at harveyecology.com
Fri Apr 26 16:50:36 CDT 2019

We have an immediate opening in our Los Gatos office for an experienced senior-level plant ecologist and permitting expert to become a key member of our botany team. The position will include managing all aspects of the biological components of CEQA/NEPA assessments, rare plant surveys, wetland delineations and habitat mapping projects, Clean Water Act Section 404/401 and similar resource agency permitting projects, and resource management plans; managing staff, budgets, clients, and agency contacts; business development; marketing; proposal preparation; and staff training and supervision;.

Required qualifications

  *   A minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience in biological/ecological consulting
  *   Strong project management skills, including an ease with clients and exceptional organizational abilities for tracking project details, schedules, budgets, invoices, and subcontractors
  *   Academic background in plant biology, plant ecology, plant sciences, or biological sciences with emphasis in botany and ecology, solid field and/or research experience, and broad ecological knowledge
  *   Experience in most or all of the following areas: California flora and habitats, plant identification, quantitative field surveys, plant community/association mapping, wetland delineation, environmental impact analysis, and regulatory permit preparation for both California and federal resource agencies
  *   Solid technical writing ability
  *   Strong communication and collaboration skills
  *   Willingness to travel for meetings and to project sites

Candidates with an M.S. or a Ph.D. are strongly preferred, but those with a B.S. and direct relevant experience, including multiple years of project management experience in biological consulting, will be considered. Direct, recent experience coordinating with local state and federal regulatory staff will be considered a real plus.

Additional qualifications

  *   Valid driver's license with no major traffic violations or multiple minor violations
  *   Willingness to work irregular hours (e.g., early mornings, late nights, weekends)
  *   Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, work in all types of weather conditions, walking over varied terrain, bending, lifting, and carrying upwards of 50 pounds, and otherwise maintain good physical condition
  *   Familiarity with best practices for field safety and low impact principles

About H. T. Harvey & Associates
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an ecological consulting firm based near San Jose, California, with six offices in California and Hawaii. Our core areas of expertise are restoration ecology, landscape architecture, plant ecology, wildlife ecology, fish and aquatic ecology, and ecological research. Our work includes a variety of projects that involve wildlife habitat; threatened and endangered plant, animal, and fish species; habitat restoration and native landscape design; habitat conservation plans; renewable energy facilities; and more. We cultivate excellence in our staff and our work in pursuit of our mission to create ecologically sound solutions to our clients' complex natural resource challenges.

Our employment package includes a competitive salary, medical, dental, and life insurance, as well as a 401K with generous employer match.

How to apply

Interested candidates should respond by submitting a cover letter, resume, transcripts, and references through this link https://www.harveyecology.com/senior-plant-ecologist-permitting-expert

H. T. Harvey & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities, disabled and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.