[PCA] WORKSHOP: Natural Areas Association Regional Workshop; May 7-8, 2019 (Conway, AR)

Nakahata, Eileen enakahata at blm.gov
Tue Apr 9 08:48:45 CDT 2019

TOOLS FOR KEEPING OUR NATURAL AREAS RESILIENT: DEVELOPING NATIVE SEED
RESOURCES AND MANAGING FOR POLLINATORS

Date: May 7-8, 2019

Location: Conway, AR

What it’s all about?

The Natural Areas Association, along with its long-time partners, the
Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission and U.S. Forest Service invite you to
join us in central Arkansas May 7th and 8th for this important workshop for
natural areas professionals.

This workshop is for practitioners who are managing similar systems in this
region.

Connect with land managers, ecologists, and other experts from around the
region as we tour several managed natural areas and restoration sites and
learn about the various components of the Arkansas Native Seed Program, a
statewide, multi-organization partnership working to develop commercially
available ecoregional-genotype seed resources.  Participants will see how
this program uses volunteers to collect seeds from remnant natural areas,
partners with private industry to propagate plants, and works with local
farmers who multiply seeds in propagation fields and sell them on the open
market.  Along the way we will discuss important considerations for
pollinators in our management of natural areas.

Field trip sites will include: 1) the Camp Robinson Special Use Area, a
complex of high quality woodlands, savannas, and prairies with a 70+ year
history of prescribed fire, 2) Barnhill Farms, a producer for the Native
Seed Program, 3) remnant and restored prairies on natural areas in the
Grand Prairie Ecoregion, 4) the Lake Maumelle Wildlife Management Area, and
5) sites in the Ouachita National Forest.  We will also tour a farm
producing seed as part of the Native Seed Program.  Participants will meet
and interact with experts from around the region and explore a number of
interesting habitats in the Ouachita Mountains and Mississippi Alluvial
Plain including tallgrass prairies, oak savannas, and oak and shortleaf
pine-oak woodlands.

We are fortunate to have the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, Arkansas
Audubon, Quail Forever, Central Arkansas Water, Roundstone Native Seed, and
other partners share their expertise and experience on these important
natural areas management issues.

NAAs goal is to create an opportunity for practitioners to come together as
a community, support each other and share tested methodologies and
expertise as well as challenges - in a collaborative atmosphere.

Cost / Registration:
$65 NAA Members
$85 Non-members
Fee includes a continental breakfast the first day and lunch both days.

Details:
https://www.naturalareas.org/current_regional_workshop.php