[PCA] Federal Crop Insurance Corporation - Public Notice of Meeting (Sept 18-20) - open to Public on Sept. 20, 2018 (Missouri)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed Sep 5 10:35:10 CDT 2018

 It has been suggested that crop insurance could be helpful for growers of
native plants.  But many native plant species are not among the list of
species recognized by the USDA as "crops."

See below for upcoming meeting of the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation
meeting and an excerpt on crop insurance from the USDA Natural Resources
Conservation Service e-news.

Federal Crop Insurance Corporation Meeting <https://www.rma.usda.gov/fcic/>:
Sept. 18-20, 2018
(https://www.rma.usda.gov/fcic/)

PUBLIC SESSION:
Thurs., Sept. 20, approximately 10:45am
Room G28D
USDA, 6501 Beacon Drive
Kansas City, MO.

Public Notice <https://www.rma.usda.gov/fcic/2018/918notice.pdf> (
https://www.rma.usda.gov/fcic/2018/918notice.pdf)
Sept AGENDA <https://www.rma.usda.gov/fcic/2018/918agenda.pdf> (
https://www.rma.usda.gov/fcic/2018/918agenda.pdf)

USDA-NRCS eNews EXCERPT: Eckert’s Manages Risk through Crop Insurance,
Diversification

Eckert’s restaurant and specialty food store are open year-round.
Therefore, they are always looking for better ways to manage risk. Crop
Insurance and diversification are two of the tools Eckert uses to combat
the negative effects of weather.

How Crop Insurance Works

Federal crop insurance -- administered by USDA's Risk Management Agency --
is critical to the farm safety net. It provides producers and owners
various methods to mitigate production and revenue risks and helps to
maintain a healthy rural economy. Crop insurance is available nationwide
and can be purchased through local crop insurance providers.

Producers can receive premium support at varying levels and be covered
against natural losses that occur during the crop year.

“Things like crop insurance are a game changer for us,” said Eckert. “I
don’t think we would be doing half of the things we’re doing today without
crop insurance. It’s a hedge against the most unpredictable variable we
have – weather. You can do everything you want to do and be the best farm
manager in the world but that doesn’t prevent a hail storm, or a polar
vortex, or a rainy weekend. It’s a matter of doing everything we can to
mitigate our exposure to those risks, so we can be more manageable in how
we run our business.”

Full story: Eckert’s Manages Risk through Crop Insurance, Diversification
<https://www.farmers.gov/media/blog/2018/09/05/eckerts-manages-risk-through-crop-insurance-diversification>
(
https://www.farmers.gov/media/blog/2018/09/05/eckerts-manages-risk-through-crop-insurance-diversification
)