[PCA] ARTICLE: Extreme Botany: The Precarious Science of Endangered Rare Plants

Prescott, Leah lprescott at blm.gov
Thu Oct 18 09:18:30 CDT 2018

From:  Yale Environment 360
By: Anet Marinelli
October 18, 2018

"They don’t make the headlines the way charismatic animals such as rhinos
and elephants do. But there are thousands of critically endangered plants
in the world, and a determined group of botanists are ready to go to great
lengths to save them.

To save plants that can no longer survive on their own, Steve Perlman has
bushwhacked through remote valleys, dangled from helicopters, and teetered
on the edge of towering sea cliffs. Watching a video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvDQmNtQaw>of the self-described “extreme
botanist” in actio­­n is not for the faint-hearted. “Each time I make this
journey I’m aware that nature can turn on me,” Perlman says in the video as
he battles ocean swells in a kayak to reach the few remaining members of a
critically endangered species on a rugged, isolated stretch of Hawaiian
coastline. “The ocean could suddenly rise up and dash me against the rocks
like a piece of driftwood.”"

Read more:
https://e360.yale.edu/features/extreme-botany-the-precarious-science-of-saving-rare-endangered-plants

--
Leah Prescott
Bureau of Land Management

National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance <http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>
Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>