[PCA] Today's PCA call - Addendum to Ecoregional Revegetation Application: > 40 plant attributes displayed

Rob Fiegener rob at appliedeco.org
Thu Nov 15 14:24:25 CST 2018

For additional trait data, USDA PLANTS contains "characteristics
<https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/charinfo.html>" data for over 2000 species
<https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/java/characteristics> (about 1800 of which
are native).  ERA contains a subset of these characteristics, and adds
value by bringing in pollinator and insect usage data (which PLANTS does
not have).

For the global compendium of plant trait data, consult the TRY database
<https://www.try-db.org/TryWeb/Home.php>.

A significant problem for tools that make plant recommendations at a large
scale is our lack of good native range maps.  The plant occurrence data
these tools use (derived from PLANTS and BONAP) interprets native range
very generously, and consequently the tools deliver erroneous results.
Grass-roots knowledge coupled with more conservative modelling of plant
occurrence are required for these tools to deliver more accurate species
recommendations.  The best range maps I know of are from BIEN
<http://biendata.org/>.

Concerning the development of a master plant database (one to rule them
all), there are many many different users with widely varying interests
(we're diverse!).  I think the way forward is to develop datasets with
interoperability in mind and offer open access.

Lastly, as an aside, I do want to confirm that the National Native Seed
Conference is taking 2019 off and will be back in 2020.  If you'd like to
lobby for a particular location or share ideas, get in touch.  Also we're
seeking sponsors, so I'm very keen to hear from any prospective financial
supporters!

Cheers,
  Rob

Rob Fiegener
Director of Plant Materials

563 SW Jefferson Ave, Corvallis OR 97333
(541) 753-3099 ext. 708
@native_seed
nativeseednetwork.org <http://www.nativeseednetwork.org>
appliedeco.org <http://www.appliedeco.org>