[PCA] American Botanical Council's Herbal News & Events: Why are Some of Africa's Biggest Baobab Trees Dying Off?

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Tue Jul 3 09:45:46 CDT 2018

 Not a US native but baobabs are similar to our own saguaros in some
respects (iconic and difficult to "age") and so I thought this may be of
interest:

Texas Public Radio. June 11, 2018.
A recent survey of baobab trees, iconic symbols of Africa, in several south
African countries has shown that more than two dozen of the oldest and
largest trees are dead or decaying, and it's a mystery as to why.

Full story at: http://tpr.org/post/why-are-some-africas-biggest-
baobab-trees-dying

*FYI: *

Baobab trees are often called upside down trees or bottlebrush trees
because their massive water-storing trunks are topped by branches that are
reminiscent of large roots. *Adansonia grandidieri*, a baobab that is
endemic to Madagascar, was just included in CITES Appendix II (effective
January 2017). The plants are popularly grown as bonsai and the fruits are
sought after for a variety of personal products. The CITES Appendix-II
listing will ensure that international trade in this species is legal and
sustainable.

Credit: Gagnon 2007; near Morondava, Madagascar