[PCA] Mailing List Submission

Emily Beckman ebeckman at mortonarb.org
Wed Apr 11 09:53:51 CDT 2018

 *U.S. Tree Collections and Conservation: 2018 Gap Analyses*

*On the heels of our conservation gap analysis of US native oaks
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/10iVfj2GRkVFzMWKM7xzbhRSKa_0gZjirHBnaL2kAhfA/edit?usp=sharing>
(in prep), The Morton Arboretum, in partnership with Botanic Gardens
Conservation International U.S. and the United States Forest Service, will
extend this study to additional U.S. tree groups in 2018. Priority tree
genera have been targeted: Carya, Fagus, Gymnocladus, Juglans, Lindera,
Magnolia, Persea, Pinus, Sassafras, Taxus.Our assessment will include an
in-depth review of ex situ accessions alongside an in situ analysis of
threats and mitigation efforts for wild populations. A final report will
highlight key areas of need by genus, region, and species, as well as
replicable methods we hope can lead the way for similar studies. Make Your
Collections CountFor phase one of the gap analysis we are requesting
accessions data, including provenance information, from all ex situ
collections that maintain any of the priority genera. Please send us a full
electronic export (Excel spreadsheet or CSV preferred) from your
collections database for the target genera (Carya, Fagus, Gymnocladus,
Juglans, Lindera, Magnolia, Persea, Pinus, Sassafras, Taxus). All
provenance data collected by your institution are vital to our analysis so
please ensure the inclusion of all relevant fields. A full export (all
fields you document) is very welcome, but if you would like to see the list
of target fields we are collecting, click here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iPx5Xkv_d3QAHS3vCk3IlwmNa-sbdE6unP8ZA_lbj9g/edit?usp=sharing>.
All data contributions will be managed confidentially, and we can provide
accurately georeferenced accessions data to your institution when
feasible.The deadline for providing collection information for this
analysis is April 30. Please pass this request on to your colleagues and
other institutions with relevant collections.Thank you for your continued
collaboration!Please contact Emily Beckman with data, questions, and/or
comments at ebeckman at mortonarb.org <ebeckman at mortonarb.org>*

--
*Emily Beckman*
Tree Conservation Research Assistant