[PCA] JOB OPPORTUNITY: Grower/Production Lead @ Emory Knoll Farms, Street, MD

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Thu Oct 5 12:07:24 CDT 2017

**To apply for this position, see contact details below.**

*Position Summary:*

The Grower / Production Lead manages and works with a team of seasonal
growers to propagate plants to meet production targets for wholesale plug
sales. The Grower will provide training and mentoring for seasonal
propagators and will provide daily leadership to them. The Grower will
report to the General Manager and will work with other staff to provide
horticultural support when needed. Other duties will be assigned as
necessary. The scope of the job and salary will reflect experience level –
we are interested in talking to both entry level and experienced candidates
as a good fit for our team and culture is more important than existing
skills. Emory Knoll Farms provides a generous benefits and vacation package
as well as a flexible work environment and profit sharing.

*Core Duties:*

Supervising and participating in daily activities of the propagation team
including:

>Propagating plants to ensure production targets are met – primarily taking
cuttings, sticking cuttings, some seed sowing and pricking out
>Tracking production and meeting production goals
>Setting schedules for the team and training seasonal staff
>Stock maintenance – maintaining cuttings stock beds and stock plants
including weeding, watering and fertilizing as needed
>Maintaining inventory of all growing supplies, including ensuring flats
are filled and supplied as needed
>Coordinating planning and greenhouse space allocation with other staff to
ensure efficient production flow
>Assists the General Manager and other staff with other duties as assigned

*Skills:*

Nursery or horticultural experience preferred. Though training will be
given, some knowledge of production in a wholesale nursery would be
beneficial.

Computer literate including Microsoft word and excel.

Pesticide experience ideal but at a minimum an ability to calculate
proportions, percentages and volumes in relation to the application of
fertilizers, chemicals and water. A willingness to undergo pesticide
training required.

Ability to maintain production and IPM record.

Ability to define and solve problems and collect data with regard to
growing problems, plant pests and diseases.

Ability to work outside in all weather, standing for long periods of time
as well as being able to crouch, kneel, and squat for periods of time to
take cuttings and weed.

Ability to lift 50lbs when necessary and move nursery flats for extended
periods of time.

Tractor or skid steer driving a bonus

This position requires a 40 hour minimum work week with a willingness to
work weekends if necessary.

Depending on skills, responsibilities could also grow to include all or a
combination of the following:

>Plant care - supervising and performing plant care - watering,
fertilizing, chemical application for IPM
>Plant preparation for shipping – determining which plants are to be
shipped and ensuring they are weeded and fixed in time to be sent to
customers
>Inventory management – taking regular inventory of plants on the ground
and projecting when those in production will be ready for sale
>Research and development of new products
>Providing horticultural expertise to clients over the phone and in person
sometimes in a consulting capacity

*Competencies:*

Ability to work in and supervise a small team as well as working alone.

Ability to participate in a continuous improvement process and willing
accept feedback.

Ability to multitask. Flexibility to change tasks and assist in any area of
the nursery as needed on a daily basis.

Self-motivated with strong work ethic. Willingness to do what is required
to offer the hightest level of customer service and meet company goals.

Enjoys collaborating as part of a team and is able to foster positive
working relationships

Ability to provide work direction and leadership to staff

Projects a helpful, friendly, and cooperative attitude

This Job Description highlights the main components of a Grower /
Production Lead but is not inclusive of all activities that may be required.

*About Emory Knoll Farms:*

Emory Knoll Farms, Inc. is the premier green roof plant provider in the
U.S. Since 1998 Emory Knoll Farms has supplied plants for over 2,000 green
roof projects, and has consulted on projects on six continents. Our diverse
selection of green roof plants is the product of many years of solid
horticultural experience. We are positioned to supply plants for a wide
range of ecosystem services and geographic regions. Emory Knoll Farms
inventories succulents, groundcovers, grasses, perennials, and North
American Natives in sufficient numbers to respond quickly to jobs of almost
any size.

*For questions and to apply:*

Dominique Bayne

General Manager & Horticulturist