[PCA] Important opportunity - provide input now - deadline this Friday 12/1

Rob Fiegener rob at appliedeco.org
Wed Nov 29 09:05:18 CST 2017

You understand the important roles that native plants play in our
ecosystems.  Do you believe that additional research, education, and
extension are needed to increase their supply and usage?

The USDA is evaluating its funding priorities and is receiving input NOW
(deadline this Friday Dec. 1).  Please join me in submitting brief comments
to USDA that native plants are a critical and under-funded component of
agriculture.  This is a rare opportunity and may influence funding programs
for years to come.

The National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), the grant-making
agency of USDA, is currently soliciting input through a process called NIFA
Listens <https://nifa.usda.gov/nifalistens>.  They are asking two questions:

1.  What is your top priority in food and agricultural research, extension,
or education that NIFA should address?

2. What are the most promising science opportunities for advancement of
food and agricultural sciences?

The connections between NIFA and native plants are abundant, but the amount
of funding is not.  Here are some of NIFA's priority program areas with
direct connections to native plants:

* Plant health and production and plant products:

* Bioenergy, natural resources, and environment;

* Agriculture economics and rural communities

Sustainable management of farm, forest, and rangeland ecosystems requires
an abundance and diversity of native plants.  Native plants comprise
the natural resource base upon which the agricultural economy depends.
Native plants are specialty crops that are forage for livestock, habitat
for game, and habitat for pollinators.  Native plants have valuable
horticultural, medicinal, and industrial applications.  Native species are
crop wild relatives and important genetic resources for agriculture.  A
diversity of native species are the foundational natural resources upon
which all life depends.  Re-establishing healthy ecosystems with rich
native species diversity will require commercially available sources of
genetically appropriate native seed, and the knowledge and tools to
successfully distribute and establish that seed.  We currently lack a basic
understanding of native plant production as a component of our economy.

I know time is short but this doesn't have to be difficult.  Responses are
short (max 600 words) and can be simple.  You are welcome to borrow or
adapt any language from this email if you wish.  A large number of
especially if received from a broad array of entities (NGOs, producers,
universities, agencies, etc.). Submissions can come from individuals and
organizations.

Please take a few moments now to tell NIFA your thoughts.  Here is the form
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q6HDGC3>.

Thank you,
 Rob

Rob Fiegener