[PCA] November 8 PCA Meeting Notes

Prescott, Leah lprescott at blm.gov
Mon Nov 13 13:21:31 CST 2017

All,

The Plant Conservation Alliance would like to thank Dr. Emily Sessa for her
engaging presentation on "Using community phylogenetics to understand
species distributions and responses to climate change: an example with
Florida ferns”. For those of you who were unable to attend please feel free
to email Leah Prescott (lprescott at blm.gov
for a copy.

A few updates and announcements from the November 8th meeting:

·         The Progress Report on implementation of the National Seed
Strategy will be provided to the Federal / Nonfederal Committee for review
in December. Information on the National Seed Strategy can be found at:
pca.sites.usa.gov/national-seed-strategy

·         PCA members may participate in the USDA National Institute for
Food and Agriculture “NIFA Listens: Investing in Science to Transform
Lives”. This is an opportunity to provide comments on priorities and
opportunities in agricultural sciences. *Submissions of written comments
will be accepted through Friday, December 1, 2017.* You will be allowed 600
words for each question. NIFA recommends composing your answers to these
questions in a separate document before filling out the form to make sure
that you remain within the word limit. These responses should be
thoughtfully constructed to reflect your personal or organizational
priorities and emerging needs and opportunities in food and agricultural
research, extension, and education. Please find the survey here
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q6HDGC3 You may also submit written comments
via NIFAlistens at nifa.usda.gov

·         If you are interested in presenting at a PCA meeting, or would
like to suggest future speakers, please send contact information to Leah
Prescott (lprescott at blm.gov) as we are continuously planning future
meetings.

Upcoming Events:

·         On November 15 from 11AM-12PM ET William H. Parker from Lakehead
University, Ontario, Canada, will be presenting on the Development of Focal
Point Seed Zones for the Present and Future the ninth installment of the
Eastern Seed Zone Forum webinars. For more information please visit
http://www.forestrywebinars.net/webinars/development-of-focal-point-seed-zones-for-the-present-and-future
or see previous email.

·         We encourage PCA cooperators to post meetings, webinars, and
research on the PCA listserv as we continue our collaborative mission to
protect native plants by ensuring that native plant populations and their
communities are maintained, enhanced, and restored. Listserv information
can be found at https://pca.sites.usa.gov/get-involved/

***The next Plant Conservation Alliance meeting will be held on Wednesday,
January 10, 2018, our guest speaker will be Jeannette Whitton, Director
University of British Columbia Herbarium, Canada's SARA & COSEWIC***

Thank you!

--
Leah Prescott
Bureau of Land Management

National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance <http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>
Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>