[PCA] PCA Welcomes 14 New Cooperators!

Lindsey Riibe riibe.lindsey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:59:14 CDT 2017

Since January of this year, our network of public and private organizations
dedicated to protecting and restoring native plant communities has grown to
346 organizations and agencies, including botanic gardens, universities,
educational groups, state agencies, businesses, professional societies,
trade associations, native plant societies, and garden clubs.

The reach of our network spans nearly all 50 U.S. States and into Canada,
Mexico, the United Kingdom and India. View all 346 Cooperators here:
http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/cooperators

*Please join us in welcoming our newest PCA Non-Federal Cooperators! *

*​ARIZONA:*
Borderlands Restoration <http://borderlandsrestoration.org/> began in 2010
as collaboration between Cuenca los Ojos (CLO) and the Biophilia
Foundation. It has now grown to include the Hummingbird Monitoring Network,
the Bureau of Land Management, the University of Arizona Southwest
Borderlands Food and Water Security Program, the Friends of Sonoita Creek,
and others. The initiative uses the best of the restoration practices
acquired from our partners’ rich experience and seeks to apply these
practices throughout the borderlands of southern Arizona and northern
Sonora.
​
​*CALIFORNIA:*
S&S Seeds <http://www.ssseeds.com/>' extensive wildland collections of
native plant seed and our production fields allow us to offer more than
1000 species including native grasses, wildflowers and shrubs.  Our large
inventory of collection site identified plant seeds can be utilized by
planners to pick a species from a source that fits the specific needs of
their project.

Golden Hour Restoration Institute <http://www.goldenhour.org/> is a gateway
for learning about the conservation and restoration of nature in a
fostering, inspiring, experiential manner. Our mission is to provide
engaging science-based instruction and project leadership in order to
conserve and restore native species and habitats. Our strategy is to bring
small groups of people into the outdoors and complete projects with
professional instruction seeded in sound science.​

The mission of the Parks Conservancy <http://www.parksconservancy.org/> is
to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the park visitor
experience, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the
future. We are a community-supported nonprofit organization transforming
places—and people—through conservation and improvement of these remarkable
national parks.

*COLORADO:*
For over thirty years Southwest Seed <http://www.southwestseed.com/> has
been growing along with the environmental and reclamation movements in
order to give our customers the very best in products, information and full
service.

​*FLORIDA:*
*Wildflower Seed and Plant Growers Association* A group of Florida
wildflower producers, working in conjunction with the Florida Department of
Agriculture and Consumer Services, the University of Florida’s Institute of
Food and Agricultural Sciences and the Florida Wildflower Foundation is
developing strategies to increase Florida's native plant acreage and seed
production to better meet the demand for native species.

*HAWAII:*
Laukahi: the Hawai‘i Plant Conservation Network <http://laukahi.org/> is a
recently formalized effort to collaboratively implement the Hawai‘i
Strategy for Plant Conservation. Laukahi – translated as “single leaf” in
the Hawaiian language - aims to strengthen collaboration among groups
working to conserve Hawaiian plants.
​
​*MAINE:*
Wild Seed Project <http://wildseedproject.net/> works to increase the use
of native plants in all landscape settings in order to conserve
biodiversity, encourage plant adaption in the face of climate change,
safeguard wildlife habitat, and create pollination and migration corridors
for insects and birds. A nonprofit organization, we sell seeds of locally
grown native plants and educate the public on seed sowing so that a wide
range of citizens can participate in increasing native plant populations.

*MICHIGAN:*
The Green Ribbon Initiative
<http://oakopenings.org/the-green-ribbon-initiative/> is a shared vision of
public and private organizations, landowners and individuals working to
preserve enhance and restore critical natural areas in the Oak Openings
Region of Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan.
​
​*NEW MEXICO:*
Curtis & Curtis, Inc.  <http://www.curtisseed.com/index.cfm>was established
in 1956 to supply native grass seeds for a rapidly expanding market in the
southwestern United States. CCI’s major emphasis continues to be on native
grass seeds and legumes for various applications such as seeding irrigated
pastures, range reseeding, mine reclamation and reclamation seeding for
highway, pipeline and highline right-of-ways.

​*NORTH CAROLINA:*
​Sarah P. Duke Gardens <https://gardens.duke.edu/> is a premier public
garden. Our living collections promote knowledge of the vital connections
between people and plants, fostering an appreciation of the natural world,
environmental awareness and sustainable practices. It is an indispensable
and lasting feature of life at Duke University, accessible to all,
providing outreach and respite to a diverse and vibrant local community and
visitors from around the world.

​*ONTARIO, CANADA:*
The Forest Gene Conservation Association <http://fgca.net/about/> (FGCA)
formed in 1994 and since 1997 has been a non profit, genetic resource
management corporation, with individual and group members who are involved
in southcentral Ontario forest conservation and management.

At Forests Ontario <http://www.forestsontario.ca/>, we’re dedicated to
making Ontario’s forests greener. Our ambitious tree planting initiatives,
extensive education programs, and decades of community outreach have helped
plant millions of trees in the province each year—and it’s through these
efforts that we’re bringing our vision for healthier forests to a new
generation of stewards, partners, teachers, and donors.

*RHODE ISLAND:*
Rhody Native™
<http://rinhs.org/who-we-are-what-we-do/programs-projects/rhody-native-home/about-2/>
is
a native plant initiative of the Rhode Island Natural History Survey
(RINHS); in regular collaboration with other organizations, including the
URI Outreach Center (URIOC) + the Rhode Island Wild Plant Society (RIWPS).
By working directly with local nurseries + garden centers, Rhody Native™
aims to build the state’s capacity to produce genetically diverse +
genetically local native plants for landscape design + restoration.

--
Lindsey Riibe
Plant Conservation Program Assistant

Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>
National Seed Strategy
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance
<http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/more/fish__wildlife_and/plants/pca.htm>

In nature's economy the currency is not money, it is life.    - Vandana
Shiva