[PCA] Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden: Million Orchid Project (citizen science project) (Florida)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed Mar 1 11:35:04 CST 2017

 Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden & Local Schools Schools Work to
Conserve Native Orchids through the Million Orchid Project

Million Orchid Project: Beginning in 2012, Fairchild researchers and
graduate students began to examine the plight of South Florida’s
endangered, native orchids. They initiated the Million Orchid Project with
the goal of propagating one million native orchid plants for reintroduction
into South Florida’s urban landscapes.

Today, our region has countless suitable landscape trees for orchid
reestablishment in schoolyards, roadways, and other public spaces. Within
five years, we expect to have orchids in a wide variety of local urban
settings, especially in the places where people live, work, and learn.
In our micropropagation lab, we are generating tens of thousands of native
orchid plants with help from volunteers and university students. In local
middle and high schools, students and teachers who participate in The
Fairchild Challenge, micropropagate orchids and contribute to our research.
This year, we have equipped more than 100 schools with mini botany labs,
allowing students to grow and study orchids in their classroom.

For more information about this conservation initiative, please visit The
Million Orchid Project:
http://www.fairchildgarden.org/science-conservation-/the-million-orchid-project