[PCA] Re [APWG] : GE glyphosate-resistant creeping bentgrass deregulated -- Subsequent regulatory concerns

bmacbryde at netscape.net bmacbryde at netscape.net
Wed Jan 25 14:28:45 CST 2017

Deregulation "appeal" ?, as was discussed earlier below by Tony and Josh.

The day after the Federal Register notice (1/18/2017) of the GE cbg deregulation, the two U.S. Senators for Oregon urged the Secretary of Agriculture to reconsider. Link to their press release:  https://www.wyden.senate.gov/news/press-releases/wyden-merkley-urge-feds-to-reconsider-deregulating-genetically-engineered-plant

The same day as the USDA/APHIS's website deregulation notice (1/17/2017), the Center for Biological Diversity announced with the Center for Food Safety, that they are considering a lawsuit. Link to announcement:  https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2017/genetically-engineered-bentgrass-01-17-2017.php

There was a legal battle through several levels of the Courts, over several years, after initial deregulation of glyphosate-resistant alfalfa. See at link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Co._v._Geertson_Seed_Farms

Josh, I've not scrutinized the APHIS Record of Decision, but I don't think APHIS "same as counterpart" implies natural. They're saying putting in the GE trait of glyphosate resistance, the transgene construct, didn't alter the Agrostis stolonifera in any other way. To me, natural is a whole different ball game! Cbg is an introduced widely naturalized and sometimes invasive species, and the GE cbg had already been found to have hybridized (unaided, i.e., naturally or spontaneously) with the also introduced and naturalized Agrostis gigantea and Polypogon monspeliensis in central Oregon.

Note: Lindsey emailed me today that there were problems with the website last week (so listserv too?). Emails to APWG or PCA might not have gotten through, or did but might not have been received by the sender, or might only have reached the archives, and there the attachments aren't kept (they're "scrubbed"). So perhaps some saw an earlier version of this email with attachments of the press release and CBD/CFS announcement rather than the preferable links above.

Bruce MacBryde
BioConservation Support
Drake, Colorado