[PCA] UPCOMING Webinar: Natural Areas Association: Residual Fire Regimes and Their Value in a Post-suppression Management Era (Mar 15)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Fri Feb 17 11:10:58 CST 2017

*Title:* Residual Fire Regimes and Their Value in a Post-suppression
Management Era
*Time:* March 15, Noon ET
*Speakers:* *Tom Saladyga*, Asst. Professor of Geography, Concord
University; *Alecea Standlee*, Asst. Professor of Sociology, Concord
University

In regions where forests have developed in response to decades of fire
suppression or exclusion, there often persist isolated, residual fire
regimes with characteristics similar to those inferred from pre-suppression
era fire histories.  In this webinar, we will discuss how these surviving
fire regimes and the people who live among them can help inform current and
future forest management and restoration objectives.  Our discussion will
focus generally on the Central Hardwood Forest Region and, specifically,
the Pennsylvania Anthracite Region where fire activity has continued
uninterrupted into the 21st century.  This region provides us an
opportunity to discuss how multiple sources of information, including
fire-scarred trees, observational fire records, socioeconomic data, and a
“fire knowledge” survey can be used to guide management decisions and
ensure resilient forest landscapes.
To register for this webinar and to see archives of past seminars, see:
https://naturalareas.org/webinars/