[PCA] April Tours & Art Workshop at the USBG (Washington, DC)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Tue Apr 18 06:38:43 CDT 2017

TOUR: Travel the Tropics
WITH: Angela Weber Hetrick, USBG Gardener
WHEN: April 20, 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
WHERE: Tour meets in the Conservatory Garden Court
ABOUT: Join Angela for a talk and walk on the 'wild side' as you explore
the Tropics in our Conservatory. Discover some of the many plants found on
our diverse planet, from the Amazon Rainforest to the Yucatan Peninsula, as
you trek through our canopy walk and view some spectacular bloomers. Come
for a 45-minute tour and learn about a new plant or two!
FREE: Pre-registration required (https://www.usbg.gov/programs-and-events)

ART WORKSHOP: Basic Botanical Illustration
WITH: Mary Ellen Carsley, Professional Artist/Illustrator and Visual Arts
Coordinator at Severn School
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, April 22 and 23; 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ((Doors
open at 8:45 a.m. Please bring a lunch.))
WHERE: Conservatory Classroom
ABOUT: Learn how to capture the beauty of the plants that fill our homes
and offices! This course is designed for the beginner and intermediate
student (ages 16-adult) interested in focusing their efforts on learning
the fundamentals of botanical drawing in the Classical Realist tradition.
Representation through the scientific lens as well as the artistic lens
will be examined. Students will develop strong drawing skills, including
drawing techniques in pencil and ink focusing on line, shape, and value,
and careful study of anatomy and forms. By looking at the history of house
plants and their impact on both human lifestyle and environment, Mary Ellen
will demonstrate field sketching and studio techniques while incorporating
various media. Precedents in art history as well as current trends in
botanical drawing will be explored.
COST: Friends of the USBG: $150; Non-Members: $175
PLEASE NOTE: A materials list can be found here:
https://www.usbg.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/basic_botanical_drawing_art_workshop_materials_list.pdf

TOUR: Marvelous Morphology: Fruits
WITH: Dr. Susan Pell, USBG Science and Public Programs Manager
WHEN: Monday, April 24; 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
WHERE: Tour meets in the Conservatory Garden Court
ABOUT: Did you know that bananas and avocados are berries and apples are
mostly non-fruit tissue? Join Susan as she discusses fruit structure and
function. Take a tasting journey through fruit morphology as we explore the
Conservatory's (and local grocery stores') bounty. Topics such as true vs.
accessory fruits, fruit layers (pericarp), seed arrangement (placentation),
and the evolutionary role of fruit will be explored and explained.
FREE: Pre-registration required (https://www.usbg.gov/programs-and-events)