[PCA] 42nd Annual Southern California Botanists Symposium October 8th, Claremont CA

Naomi Fraga nfraga at rsabg.org
Wed Sep 14 12:05:08 CDT 2016

Registration is open for the 42nd annual Southern California Botanists
 Symposium *Back to the Flora II: The Future of Southern California Botany*.
The event will take place Saturday, October 8, 2016 at Pomona College
Seaver Auditorium in Claremont, CA. Online registration is available
at *https://payableform.appspot.com/forms/x4l5j
<https://payableform.appspot.com/forms/x4l5j>*

Early registration ends Friday October 2nd.

*We have a great line up of speakers (below in alphabetical order)*

   - *Jon Christensen PhD*, UCLA. Is global warming pulling apart California’s
   floral ecosystems?
   - *Keith Gaddis PhD*. Dry-washes direct seed and pollen flow in the
   California deserts.
   - *Darrel Jenerette PhD*, UCR. Unexpectedly high biodiversity in southern
    California’s urban plant communities: causes, consequences, and future
   prognosis.
   - *Jon Keeley PhD*, US Geological Survey. Balancing resource protection
   and fire hazard in the future: climate change vs population growth.
   - *John Knapp*, The Nature Conservancy. Racing the storm: climate change
   preparations on Santa Cruz Island.
   - *Susan Mazer PhD*, University of California Santa Barbara. The
   California Phenology Project: tracking the effects of climate on the
   phenological cycles of wild plants, with a spotlight on oaks.
   - *Evan Meyer*, Mildred Mathais Botanic Garden, UCLA. Potentials and
   limits of *Ex-situ* Conservation in California.
   - *Sophie Parker PhD*, The Nature Conservancy. Conservation planning to
   inform renewable energy siting in the Mojave Desert.
   - *Erin C. Riordan PhD*, UCLA. Forecasting climate change impacts on
   rare plants in the University of California Reserve System.
   - *Lili Singer*, Theodore Payne Foundation. Horticulture and the future
   of the native flora southern California .
   - *Jane Tirrell PhD*, California Native Plant Society, San Gabriel
   Mountains Chapter. The Lily Spring Area Survey: A 1981-2011 comparison of
   plants populations.

All will be invited to attend a mixer and poster at Rancho Santa Ana
Botanic Garden following the symposium.

Please pass this notice along to colleagues, students, friends and other
interested parties. *We have a limited number student travel grants
available.*  I have attached a flyer for distribution below.  If you have
questions, please feel free to contact me or our President Nick Jensen
(copied on this e-mail).  Fore more information, please visit
http://socalbot.org/ I hope to see you there!

--
Naomi S. Fraga Ph.D. (Director of Conservation Programs)
Phone (909) 625-8767 ext. 231  •  Fax (909) 626-7670