[PCA] FW: Attacking Invasive Cheatgrass At the Root

Lisa Feldkamp lfeldkamp at TNC.ORG
Fri Sep 9 12:09:35 CDT 2016

I sent the following to the alien plants working group list, but it might be of interest to the larger Native Plants list and the Restoration Working Group as well. Apologies to those who get this message multiple times.

Hi,

I work for the Nature Conservancy’s Cool Green Science blog.

This week I covered some promising research by Ann Kennedy that is using native Washington State soil microbes to inhibit the growth of cheatgrass roots. This gives native plants a chance to compete and within about 3-5 years the cheatgrass is wiped out from the area: http://blog.nature.org/science/2016/09/07/attacking-invasive-cheatgrass-root-soil-microbes-biocontrol-sage/

Where they are able to successfully apply the bacteria, they’re finding that by year 3 there is a 50% reduction in cheatgrass. I thought that you would all be interested to learn more.

Cheers,
Lisa

“Stop, collaborate, and listen.” ~ Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle)

Lisa Feldkamp
Science Communications
The Nature Conservancy
lfeldkamp at tnc.org