[PCA] Norton Brown Herbarium may close

Sylvan Kaufman sylvan.kaufman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 10:03:59 CDT 2016

At Elizabeth's suggestion, I've written a couple paragraphs that can be
used in a letter of support.  Please feel free to modify these as you see
fit.

Ongoing herbarium work is essential to our understanding of the natural
world, especially in these days of rapid change. The Norton Brown Herbarium
was started to support the Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station in 1901
and now has a collection of more than 87,000 specimens with a focus on the
flora of Maryland and mid-Atlantic, several plant families, and several
special collections including those of the University’s College Park
Arboretum and Botanic Gardens.  The herbarium serves as a repository for
state endangered and rare plant collections and serves to document changes
in plant distributions across the state.  It is used by state agencies
including the Department of Natural Resources and Department of Agriculture
as well as by researchers from around the world.  Students use the
herbarium to learn about plant taxonomy and to conduct research projects.
Herbarium specimens can be used to study everything from plant genetics,
crop diseases, and medical uses to climate change.

For this sort of research to continue, it is vital that the University
maintain support for the Norton Brown Herbarium.  It should be considered a
valuable asset to the University in attracting world class researchers and
funding, but instead it seems to be viewed as a financial burden. The
Herbarium needs to be able to maintain and update its collections and make
that information available to researchers and to the public.  It is an
irreplaceable resource.

--
Sylvan Kaufman
phone: 410-310-0160