[PCA] First global assessment of the world's flora!

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Tue May 10 12:37:39 CDT 2016

Kew report makes new tally for number of world's plants
Rebecca Morelle

Scientists have estimated that there are 390,900 plants known to science.

The new tally is part of a report carried out by the Royal Botanic Gardens,
Kew. It is its first global assessment of the world's flora.

The study also found that 2,034 new plant species were discovered in 2015.

However, the report warns that 21% of plants are at risk of extinction,
with threats including climate change, habitat loss, disease and invasive
species.

Prof Kathy Willis, director of science at RBG Kew, said: "It's really
important to know how many plant species there are, where they are and the
relationship between the groups, because plants are absolutely fundamental
to our well-being.

"They provide us with our food, our fuel, our medicines - even controlling
our climate."

Full article: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36230858

(Pardon cross postings)