[PCA] NEWS: NatiVeg Plant Selection Tool

Erickson, Vicky -FS verickson at fs.fed.us
Tue Dec 6 20:17:48 CST 2016

Regarding pollinator plant selection tools, I wanted to make people aware of another application that’s on the horizon - Ecoregional Revegetation Application (ERA).  ERA will provide a listing of native pollinator plant species for all Level III ecoregions in the continental U.S., along with data tables with species information such as flowering season, habitat preference, flower color, benefitting pollinators, and commercial availability.  Provisional seed zones will also be incorporated into the program as an independent data layer.  See  http://www.fs.fed.us/wwetac/threat-map/TRMSeedZoneMapper.php

In collaboration with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the data used to create the new application were compiled/vetted by the US Forest Service, Xerces Society, and Chicago Botanic Garden as part of the newly released DRAFT update of Roadside Revegetation – An Integrated Approach to Establishing Native Plants and Pollinator Habitat (see link below).  This update to the original 2007 FHWA report incorporates guidance and resources for creating and maintaining favorable pollinator habitat in revegetation of roadsides. The approach and information in the report is also broadly applicable to revegetation activities outside the context of roadsides.
A final version of the ERA application and revegetation guide is scheduled for completion in early 2017.
http://www.nativerevegetation.org/pdf/RoadsideReveg_PollinatorHabitat_DRAFTv1-1_sept2016.pdf

Abstract: Native plants are a foundation of ecological function, affecting soil conservation, wildlife habitat, plant communities, invasive species, and water quality. Establishing locally-adapted, self-sustaining plant communities can also support transportation goals for safety and efficiency. Past obstacles to establishing native plant communities on roadsides have been technical, informational, and organizational. Effective strategies and practical techniques for revegetating the disturbed conditions with limited resources must be made available to practitioners. Multiple disciplines including engineering, soil science, ecology, botany, and wildlife science must work cooperatively and not in isolation. Roadsides play an important role in the conservation of declining wild pollinators and in supporting the health of managed pollinators. Throughout the revegetation process, practitioners and designers can enhance roadsides to benefit pollinators. This report offers an integrated approach to facilitate the successful establishment of native plants and pollinator habitats along roadsides and other areas of disturbance associated with road modifications. It guides readers through a comprehensive process of: 1) initiating, 2) planning, 3) implementing, and 4) monitoring a roadside revegetation project with native plants and pollinator habitat.

[Forest Service Shield]

Vicky Erickson
Regional Geneticist & Native Plant Program Manager

Forest Service
Pacific Northwest Region

p: 541-278-3715
c: 541-969-7684