[PCA] NEWS: Roadsides Provide Critical Habitat For Pollinators

Kwong, Olivia okwong at blm.gov
Tue Sep 15 14:53:06 CDT 2015

https://www.wildflower.org/feature/?id=163

Roadsides Provide Critical Habitat For Pollinators
Written by Bibi Wein

The alarming loss of habitat over the past two decades has left untold
millions of bees, butterflies and other wild pollinators hungry and
homeless. The small creatures on which we depend for a significant portion
of our food supply have hardly been without their champions; public support
for monarch butterflies alone has been estimated in the billions of
dollars. Still, the pollinator prognosis remained dire. But over the past
18 months, support for pollinators has undergone a seismic shift, led by
President Obama, who called for a national Pollinator Task Force in the
spring of 2014. Less than a year later, in a book-length "Strategy to
Protect the Health of Honey Bees and Other Pollinators," the federal
government set ambitious goals that include the restoration or enhancement
of 7 million acres of land for pollinator habitat over the next five years.
Roadsides will comprise a significant portion of that acreage.

See the link above for the full article text.