[PCA] Saving a Misunderstood Plant: Recovering the endangered shale barren rock cress

Edward Fletcher Efletcher at strategicsourcinginc.net
Thu Nov 12 10:07:24 CST 2015

Great Work out in the Field!

From: native-plants [mailto:native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org] On Behalf Of De Angelis, Patricia
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 7:52 AM
To: native-plants
Subject: [PCA] Saving a Misunderstood Plant: Recovering the endangered shale barren rock cress

Demonstrates the importance of field work and having trained botanists / biologists to get out on the ground!

NatureServe
Aug 27 2015

The more time our network's trained biologists can spend outside tracking rare species and taking inventory of what is out there, the more likely they will find new populations of endangered species.

In the case of one resilient little plant in Virginia, the shale barren rock cress, Chris Ludwig and the Virginia Natural Heritage Program's surveys doubled the number of known populations of the species. Armed with this new and more accurate information, Chris and other biologists have taken concrete steps to ensure the full protection of this species – from setting aside tens of thousands of acres of the forest to collecting seeds to help ensure the long-term survival of this species.

Our Network’s discovery of new plant sites has resulted in a revelation: the plant’s listing as an endangered species is no longer needed. The future for this plant is looking good.

http://www.natureserve.org/news-events/stories/saving-misunderstood-plant-0