[PCA] NEWS:You're Worrying About the Wrong Bees

Karen Blumer growingwild at optonline.net
Thu May 21 08:41:37 CDT 2015

I’m not too strong on insects and can’t id too may bees, however I can see the despairing dearth of pollinators. On one of my cherry shrubs, that normally has had, up until this very year, thousands, literally, of ripened cherries, there are only 15  ripening berries. Nary a pollinator in sight earlier this spring and stems of withered and brown petals instead.

And a visit to a barrier beach last Saturday provided thousands of Prunus maritima flowers with barely a pollinator.

Profoundly distressing.

Karen

Karen Blumer
Author, LI Native Plants for Landscaping: A Source Book
   2016 Revision (barring plague and further chronic lyme obstacles)
Growing Wild Publications
15 Dickerson Drive
Shoreham, NY 11786
631-821-3337