[PCA] The Chickadee’s Guide to Gardening - In Your Garden, Choose Plants That Help the Environment (NYT Op-Ed, Mar 11, 2015)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Mon Mar 16 11:09:27 CDT 2015

By DOUGLAS W. TALLAMY

OXFORD, Pa. — I GREW up thinking little of plants. I was interested in
snakes and turtles, then insects and, eventually, birds. Now I like plants.
But I still like the life they create even more.

Plants are as close to biological miracles as a scientist could dare admit.
After all, they allow us, and nearly every other species, to eat sunlight,
by creating the nourishment that drives food webs on this planet. As if
that weren’t enough, plants also produce oxygen, build topsoil and hold it
in place, prevent floods, sequester carbon dioxide, buffer extreme weather
and clean our water. Considering all this, you might think we gardeners
would value plants for what they do. Instead, we value them for what they
look like.
Full article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/11/opinion/in-your-garden-choose-plants-that-help-the-environment.html