[PCA] Fwd: New book: The Reason for Flowers: Their History, Culture, and Biology, and How They Change our Lives

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Fri Jul 24 08:57:17 CDT 2015

"*The Reason for Flowers: **Their History, Culture, and Biology, and How
They Change our Lives*" is the latest publication from Dr. Stephen Buchmann
(with the University of Arizona in the Departments of Entomology and
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology). It includes a chapter on bees and other
pollinators, and also sections on fossil pollinators and fossil flowers. See
below.

Dr. Buchmann was also on NPR's All Things Considered on July 18th  "Birds,
Bees And The Power of Sex Appeal: The Ribald Lives of Flowers."
http://www.npr.org/2015/07/18/423478625/birds-bees-and-the-power-of-sex-appeal-the-ribald-lives-of-flowers

ABOUT THE REASON FOR FLOWERS
Cultural history at its best—the engaging, lively, and definitive story of
the beauty, sexuality, ecology, myths, lore, and economics of the world’s
flowers, written by a passionately devoted author and scientist, and
illustrated with his stunning photographs.  Flowers, and the fruits that
follow, feed, clothe, sustain, and inspire all humanity. They have done so
since before recorded history. Flowers are used to celebrate all-important
occasions, to express love, and are also the basis of global industries.
Americans buy ten million flowers a day and perfumes are a worldwide
industry worth $30 billion dollars annually. Yet, we know little about
flowers, their origins, bizarre sex lives, or how humans relate and depend
upon them.

See more at:
http://books.simonandschuster.com/The-Reason-for-Flowers/Stephen-Buchmann/9781476755526#sthash.PVeQek2Q.dpuf