[PCA] IUCN: Red List 50

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed Sep 24 13:54:30 CDT 2014

Forwarding a message from IUCN about their 50 year celebration this year.
They've pulled together interesting facts and information on their website:
http://www.iucn.org/about/work/programmes/species/our_work/the_iucn_red_list/

For instance, did you know that an American scientist had the idea for
producing a list of threatened species? Did you know that more than 7,500
U.S. native species* have been reviewed by IUCN, ranging from the northern
copperhead of least concern status to the critically endangered hiddenpetal
Indian mallow of Hawai'i?
(*including the 50 states, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin
Islands)

NatureServe is the IUCN Red List Authority for plants in the United States:
http://www.natureserve.org/conservation-tools/data-maps-tools/iucn-red-list-threatened-species

For information on how Red List rankings relate to NatureServe rankings,
see: NatureServe is the IUCN Red List Authority for plants in the United
States. For information on how

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.

Botanist, US Fish & Wildlife Service-Division of Scientific Authority

Chair, Plant Conservation Alliance-Medicinal Plant Working Group