[PCA] FWS and surrogate species

Conor Flynn conorpro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 06:31:55 CDT 2014

Jim,

Thank you for forwarding this correspondence.  A lot of my work for the
natural heritage programs and gov't agencies has been using Floristic
Quality Assessments (FQA - in Colorado, where their botanists have ranked
the conservation index for every vascular plant species! ), Vegetative
Indices of Biotic Integrity (VIBI), and in general, Ecological Integrity
Assessments (EIAs), all of which rely on the implicit or explicit
assumption that some measurement of one taxa of plants or animals will
inform management of other taxa and the ecosystem as a whole.

Unfortunately, the literature that has actually tested this assumption has,
to my knowledge, not found that taxa or group of taxa ever really correlate
well with other taxa .... what is good for butterflies may not necessarily
be good for moths
<http://weltanschuuang.blogspot.com/2013/02/do-endemic-taxa-correlate.html>,
etc.

I just read a recent metareview of tropical deforestation
<http://news.mongabay.com/2014/0731-impact-of-selective-logging-on-rainforests.html>
that
is being widely cited because ---surprise!-- it found differential effects
between different types of species.

But a lot more research needs to be done, and I would love to keep up with
these discussions.

Thanks Jim!

Conor Flynn
conorpro at gmail.com