[PCA] NEWS: GSPC and CBD COP12

Kwong, Olivia okwong at blm.gov
Tue Oct 21 08:49:13 CDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
On Oct 20, 2014, at 4:26 AM, Suzanne Sharrock <Suzanne.Sharrock at bgci.org>
wrote:

Dear Colleagues

On behalf of Peter Wyse Jackson and the GPPC Secretariat, I would like to
give you a brief update on GSPC coverage at the recent CBD  Conference of
the Parties.

As you will be aware, the mid-term review of the GSPC was on the agenda at
the COP12, which was held in Korea from 6-17 October.  Over 20 countries
(including the EU and Egypt on behalf of the Arab States) spoke in favour
of the GSPC, highlighting the importance of plant conservation and the need
for greater resources to be devoted to this.  There was a strong call for
more capacity building and also for the strengthening of partnerships with
broader communities, notably with the agricultural and health sectors.  I
made an intervention on behalf of BGCI and Peter Wyse Jackson (Chair, GPPC)
also spoke, representing the GPPC.  Both of us emphasized these points and
highlighted the need for the development of more national partnerships for
plant conservation focused on GSPC implementation.

A Decision on the GSPC was adopted by the COP and the full text can be seen
here:
http://www.cbd.int/doc/meetings/cop/cop-12/insession/cop-12-L-03-en.pdf
 The Decision highlighted the continuing role and importance of the Global
Partnership for Plant Conservation in GSPC implementation.

The Plant Conservation Report 2014, which is the main document produced for
the mid-term review, was well received at a launch event on the sidelines
of COP12.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who
contributed information and case studies for this review. It was not
possible to include all of them in the report, but we will be working over
the coming weeks to add as many as possible to the GSPC toolkit:
www.plants2020.net<http://www.plants2020.net>. The Plant Conservation
Report has been published by the CBD Secretariat in its Technical Series
and is available for download on both the BGCI and CBD websites. Please
see: http://www.bgci.org/resources/news/1163/  and
http://www.cbd.int/ts/default.shtml . We have a limited number of printed
copies of the report at the BGCI office. Please let me know if you would
like me to send you one.

A side event on the World Flora Online was also organized at the COP which
highlighted progress made to date towards the achievement of Target 1 of
the GSPC and included information on some national initiatives too.  This
side-event was attended by the CBD’s Executive Secretary, Braulio Dias, who
expressed his support for the development of the World Flora Online
initiative being taken forward by the WFO Consortium.

The GSPC is clearly regarded as a successful initiative within the CBD,
representing a well-focused, bottom-up, output-oriented approach to
conservation.  It has mobilized the botanical sector and has provided a
focus and entry point to biodiversity conservation policy for many smaller
institutions.  However, it has been less successful in the extent to which
it is integrated into national policy and lacks visibility in many NBSAPs.
It is therefore important for members of the GPPC to continue to promote
and raise awareness of the GSPC at all opportunities.

Once again, thank you to those who contributed to the mid-term review.

Best wishes

Suzanne Sharrock
GPPC Secretariat

----------

Botanic Gardens Conservation International
Descanso House
199 Kew Road
Richmond
Surrey
TW9 3BW
UK

Tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5941
Fax: +44 (0)20 8332 5956
email: suzanne.sharrock at bgci.org<mailto:suzanne.sharrock at bgci.org>
www.bgci.org<http://www.bgci.org/>

Follow BGCI on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bgci

Explore the world of botanic gardens through our on-line databases:
GardenSearch<http://www.bgci.org/garden_search.php>  and PlantSearch<
http://www.bgci.org/plant_search.php>