[PCA] NEWS: World's Largest Trees Help Explain California Forests' Bald Spots

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Fri Feb 14 09:17:03 CST 2014

At the risk of sounding negative, do we really need studies to tell us that
plants need sun, water and the right kind of substrate?

Perhaps this is the the research that convinces resource managers how to
approach conservation and management? Or that convinces the everyday person
why we need to be careful about how we treat/use the environment?

Or maybe research efforts should focus on other issues...?  Like making
sure the geologists (and other seemingly unrelated experts) have a seat at
the table when talking plant conservation.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs