[PCA] NEWS: Seneca Nation commits to native plant landscaping

Kwong, Olivia okwong at blm.gov
Tue Aug 26 09:46:25 CDT 2014

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/25812/20140826/seneca-nation-commits-to-native-plant-landscaping

Seneca Nation commits to native plant landscaping
by David Sommerstein, in Canton, NY
North Country Public Radio

Aug 26, 2014 -- The Seneca Nation in western New York has a new policy
regarding landscaping on tribal government property. It's committing to
native plants only.

"All our future plantings in our public buildings around the territory we
will commit to local, indigenous plants of western New York, plants
important to the Seneca people," says Ken Parker, horticultural consultant
for the Seneca Nation. "And we will no longer plant and introduce to the
territory Eurasian plant species."

Parker has been in the nursery business for 25 years. After living in
Canada for awhile, he returned to Seneca territory and wondered why there
were Norway maples instead of sugar maples. He also questioned at a Nation
meeting why a new traffic circle was being landscaped with Dutch bulbs.

See the link above to listen to hear Parker's conversation with David
Sommerstein.