[PCA] JOB: E.N. Wilds Director for Cornell Plantations

Kwong, Olivia okwong at blm.gov
Wed Sep 18 08:04:17 CDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Dear Plant Professionals,

Cornell Plantations and Cornell University's College of Agriculture and
Life Sciences would like to ask for your help in identifying suitable
candidates for the The Elizabeth Newman Wilds Director of Cornell
Plantations:

Cornell Plantations is seeking an exceptional individual to serve as the
Elizabeth Newman Wilds Director to lead Cornell University’s botanical
gardens, arboretum and natural areas, Upstate New York’s premier public
garden and one of Ithaca’s major cultural institutions.

>From Cornell University's beginning, there was a resolve to amplify and
even expand upon the campus' rich natural treasures. At the university's
opening ceremony in 1868, the eminent naturalist Louis Agassiz remarked
that no other area could compete with Cornell's surroundings in the
opportunities offered for the study of natural history. Cornell Plantations
traces its roots to 1875 and serves as an exemplary University public
garden with a mature and diverse botanical garden, arboretum, the fourth
largest holding of natural areas among North American public gardens, and a
rich educational program which serves learners of all ages.

Within Cornell University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences,
Cornell Plantations is an integral program and place whose mission is to
preserve and enhance diverse horticultural collections and natural areas
for enrichment, education and support of scientific research.  The 3,515
acres of natural and cultivated areas are adjacent to Cornell’s central
campus and throughout Tompkins County.  Worldwide tourists, Cornell faculty
and students, local community members, and Cornell alumni are attracted to
Plantations throughout the year with approximately 150,000 visitors
annually.  During the growing season, Plantations employs up to 70 full-
and part-time staff, including interns, students and temporary employees.
 An annual operating budget of $2.8 million supports active conservation,
horticulture, education and outreach programs.

A dedicated team of experienced and passionate program leaders and staff
along with a robust volunteer corps and an active and supportive donor base
help Plantations achieve its mission to preserve and enhance diverse
horticultural collections and natural areas for the enrichment and
education of academic and public audiences, and in support of scientific
research.

The E.N. Wilds Director will provide the leadership, vision and strategic
direction for Cornell Plantations, comprised of Cornell’s botanical
gardens, arboretum and natural areas.  In addition, the director will have
primary responsibility for institutional development, initiation and
implementation of major programmatic and capital improvements, and the
establishment of the fundraising strategies required to achieve these
goals. In addition, she/he will manage day-to-day operations and
activities, a $2.8 million budget, and a staff of up to 70 full- and
part-time employees.

A full description of the position can be found here:
http://www.cornellplantations.org/directorsearch.  Review of applications
will begin on September 26, 2013.

As botanical leaders and professionals in the public garden field we know
that your connections are much greater than ours alone and we kindly ask
you to share this opportunity with professionals you feel could be
potential candidates or perhaps consider applying.

We would also greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have for
candidates we might reach out to directly; you can share these names with
me and our search committee will be in touch with them.

On behalf of the Search Committee, I thank you in advance for any
assistance you are able to provide,

Todd Bittner
Natural Areas Director, Cornell Plantations
607.255.9638
www.cornellplantations.org