[PCA] Ancient Plants Reawaken: Plants Exposed by Retreating Glaciers Regrowing After Centuries Entombed Under Ice

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed May 29 08:52:38 CDT 2013

FYI...

*Ancient Plants Reawaken: Plants Exposed by Retreating Glaciers Regrowing
After Centuries Entombed Under Ice*

*
*

*May 28, 2013* — When University of Alberta researcher Catherine La Farge
threads her way through the recently exposed terrain left behind by
retreating glaciers, she looks at the ancient plant remains a lot closer
than most. Now, her careful scrutiny has revealed a startling reawakening
of long-dormant plants known as bryophytes.

...La Farge says the regrowth of these Little Ice Age bryophytes (such as
mosses and liverworts) expands our understanding of glacier ecosystems as
biological reservoirs that are becoming increasingly important with global
ice retreat. "We know that bryophytes can remain dormant for many years
(for example, in deserts) and then are reactivated, but nobody expected
them to rejuvenate after nearly 400 years beneath a glacier.

Full article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130528202549.htm

------------------------

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs