[PCA] The Few, the Proud, the Tortoises: Marines Protect Endangered Species - Wall Street Journal

Gorman, Lewis lewis_gorman at fws.gov
Wed May 15 09:56:24 CDT 2013

As a follow-up to the article that Patricia posted to the listserve, here's
examples of other DoD natural resource conservation actions:

   -  the burning of Longleaf pine forest in Georgia and other DoD
   installations in the South is much more managed than the article alludes
   to.  The regular controlled burns benefit not only the RCW, but a host of
   listed and species at-risk animals and plants.
   - the Navy's good conservation work on San Clemente Island and its
   sister San Niclas Island have not only benefited the Shrike as the article
   mentions, but now has resulted in the FWS recommendation to delist the
   Island Night Lizard.

Good stuff from a good conservation partner.
Thanks to Patricia so much for picking up this article.  I sent it to the
Endangered Species Roundtable membership.
Lew Gorman

Lewis E. Gorman III
Partnerships Coordinator
Ecological Services-HQ