[PCA] JOB: 2014 "Native Orchids and Their Pollinators" Poster Artist Contract

Kwong, Olivia okwong at blm.gov
Tue Jul 2 11:46:29 CDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jennifer Tsang <jt at pollinator.org>
Date: Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Subject: [Pollinator] 2014 "Native Orchids and Their Pollinators" Poster
Job Advertisement
To: pollinator at coevolution.org

** ** ** ** ** ** **

*2014 “Native Orchids and Their Pollinators” Poster*

*Job Advertisement*

** **

*The Pollinator Partnership is seeking an artist to render the 2014 “Native
Orchids and Their Pollinators” poster.  A 1-page narrative concept idea
with a draft sketch are due to Jennifer Tsang at jt at pollinator.org by
Friday, August 30, 2013. Final illustration due by February 3, 2014.*

** **

*Background*

The Pollinator Partnership (P2) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization-- the
largest organization in the world dedicated to the protection and promotion
of pollinators and their ecosystems. Birds, bats, bees, butterflies,
beetles, and other small mammals that pollinate plants are responsible for
bringing us one out of every three bites of food. They also sustain our
ecosystems and produce our natural resources by helping plants reproduce.
Unfortunately they are in trouble. Some species have seen a 90% decline in
their populations over the last decade.  Without the actions of
pollinators, agricultural economies, our food supply, and surrounding
landscapes would collapse.****

** **

*Our Solution for Sustainability*

Pollinator Partnership addresses issues of pollinator health and decline
using many resources and projects. We are dealing with a complex issue that
does not have a simple solution, but by addressing each area where
pollinators interface with people we can make a significant impact in
pollinator, ecosystem, and human health.  One way we address this issue is
through outreach and education.****

** **

*Purpose*

Each year, the Pollinator Partnership, along with a wide range of partners
(including federal agencies, non-profits, for-profits, individuals, etc.)
design and distribute an educational pollinator poster.  About 200,000
posters are distributed throughout the ****United States**** each year.
They are one of the most popular outreach material items offered.****

** **

P2 is seeking an artist for the 2014 pollinator poster.  This year, P2 is
teaming with the North American Orchid Conservation Center (
http://northamericanorchidcenter.org/), a coalition of organizations
dedicated to ensuring the survival of orchids native to the **U.S.** and ***
*Canada****. The theme of the 2014 pollinator poster is native orchids and
their pollinators.****

** **

*Use*

The posters are enjoyed and used in a wide variety of venues from
classrooms, fairs, conferences, and offices, to homes and educational
trainings.****

** **

*Poster Image - Vision*

The poster is aimed for a wide-audience, including adults and children.  A
scientific/naturalistic style is preferred.  The P2 staff will work with
the artist on scientific accuracy and detail.****

** **

*Submittal Details*

If interested in submitting a poster concept idea for consideration to
render the 2014 “Native Orchid and Their Pollinators” poster please submit
the below information as one PDF to Jennifer Tsang by 3PM PST on Friday,
August 30, 2013:****

   - Contact information (name, email, physical mailing address) ****
   - Background****
      - Resume, CV, past projects, etc.****
      - Max 2 pages****
   - Narrative about the poster concept****
      - Method used (digital, traditional, etc.)****
      - max. 1 page, Arial, size 12, single spaced****
   - Sketch of the proposed poster as digital art submitted as a pdf,
   .eps., or .jpg. (300 ppi at 8.5 x11)****

* *

*Timeline*

Final poster image must be submitted to the Pollinator Partnership no later
than Monday, February 3, 2014.****

** **

*Poster Size*

There is flexibility with the size of the poster, but past posters have
ranged from 30 in x 12 in to 30 in x 32 in (including a galley at the
bottom of the poster for partner logos).  We suggest using a standard
poster size so that people may easily choose to frame the poster.****

** **

*Compensation*

The Pollinator Partnership does not make any profit off of the poster and
distributes them for free (not including shipping and handling).  P2 works
to create the poster each year to help educate the public about the
importance of pollinators.  The chosen artist will receive $1,000 upon
completion of the artwork and agreement and signature of contracted work
for the 2014 poster.****

** **

*Legal*

The Pollinator Partnership will own the rights to the final submitted
digital artwork.****

** **

*Previous Pollinator Posters*

To view past pollinator posters, please visit
http://pollinator.org/posters.htm. ****

** **

*Questions?*

Contact Jennifer Tsang at jt at pollinator.org or 415.362.1137****