[PCA] Native Plant Curriculum - Washington State

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Oct 26 15:14:11 CDT 2012

Our wonderful Forest Service listserve member, Vicky Erickson, clued me in
to the information for Washington state...and Laura Potash graciously
consented to letting me post her message. PNW is rocking the curricula!
Read on!

Anyone know if there is a centralized online location for this
information? A quick look online and it doesn't appear so.

Have a great weekend,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.

<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs
> on Twitter  http://twitter.com/USFWSInternatl
> on Facebook   http://www.facebook.com/USFWS_InternationalAffairs
----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 10/26/2012 04:08
PM -----

"Potash, Laura L -FS" <lpotash at fs.fed.us>
10/26/2012 02:48 PM

Also FYI -  a Washington Native Plants Curriculum was developed in 1999.
Celebrating Wildflowers Curriculum: An Educator's Guide to the
Appreciation and Conservation of Native Plants of Washington - for
teachers 4th to 8th grade. North Cascades Institute, Sedro-Woolley, WA
222pp. with accompanying video.

Like the new Oregon curriculum, it also cross-walked with the state
standards (E.A.L.R.S.).  For several years a small cadre of us travelled
around the state giving teacher training workshops (to teach-the-teacher
on how to  implement the curriculum in the classroom) - these were wildly
popular.  It was funded by National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, and
developed as a partnership between North Cascades Institute, Washington
Native Plant Society, and the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. It has
an awesome video that goes with it.

For more info please contact:
http://ncascades.org/

Laura Potash